Friday, January 15, 2016

first post about poetry from 'allhuesofblue'

Well, this is a poem I wrote was for an assignment in my British and Caribbean poetry class during my undergrad, so I guess that's kind of cheating.  either way, i thought it good enough to post.  Plus, if anyone knows me and the immense amount of time it takes me to compose a few lines, let alone a piece of work, they will ll be shocked to know this took me two hours.  I was under a deadline, which i'm sure helped to speed up the process.  Now, there is background information as to why I chose to write about the topic that I did.  We were asked to choose a poem from the Medieval/Renaissance period to emulate, and I chose Andrew Marvell's 1650/51 work, "To His Coy Mistress," because it deals with the concept of two people consummating their love before time runs out, and well, that's what I'm all about.  I didn't emulate the entire poem.  Just the first 20 lines.  I tried to model each of my lines after his, so when he speaks of the Indian Ganges'he's referring to a holy river in India.  My line mentioned The Nile/denial; I had to use a play on words because that's just what I do y'all.  The Humber is a river of lesser proportions in Marvell's home town.  Lake Travis is a small lake here in Austin, so that's where I took Travesty from.  

To His Coy Mistress
Had we but world enough, and time,
This coyness, Lady, were no crime
We would sit down and think which way
To walk and pass our long love's day.
Thou by the Indian Ganges' side
Shouldst rubies find: I by the tide
Of Humber would complain. I would
Love you ten years before the Flood,
And you should, if you please, refuse
Till the conversion of the Jews.
My vegetable love should grow
Vaster than empires, and more slow;
An hundred years should go to praise
Thine eyes and on thy forehead gaze;
Two hundred to adore each breast,
But thirty thousand to the rest;
An age at least to every part,
And the last age should show your heart.
For, Lady, you deserve this state,
Nor would I love at lower rate. 

A Forced Farewell 
Godspeed, indeed for time is cruel
Closed mouths will never feed the fool
We lay out rules, we dream them through
Let’s hope by noon they’ll all come true
To live, to love.  Have doth denial?
I’ll be here till we reconcile
Travesty if I were to faint
No levee can stop marching saints
I ask you, answer if you will
Before Night Falls, we’ll have a deal
My grass will grow and twice as green
No rain in Texas past the spring
And I remain all day and eve
You’re worth the wait, I do believe
Infinite wisdom shall restore
Light years of what I’ve waited for
Decades, dimensions, future tense
Long Live Love, come forth or hence
Beauty, gracious, earthly being
The time is now, no in between.

there are three verses i need to tighten up, but regardless, i'm pleased.  

No comments:

Post a Comment